Custody Problems, Modifications, and Enforcements as Kids Grow Up

Custody Problems, Modifications, and Enforcements as Kids Grow Up

When parents divorce and negotiate or litigate child custody, the factors considered are in the best interests of the child at the time of the divorce, looking into the foreseeable future. However, things can change and the circumstances of the child and parents can lead to modifications and enforcements of the final divorce decree.

When custody problems arise as kids grow up, the parents can work together to make changes to their custody agreement. However, if the conflict is high, there might not be room for negotiation. If necessary, enforcement or modification cases may be necessary. Modifications and enforcements are new lawsuits and follow formal procedure, similar to a divorce.

A lawsuit for modification of what many call custody, is filed to modify the rights and responsibilities of joint managing conservators, as having possession and access, and for making the determination of the residence of a child. The entire arrangement does not need to change, and in many cases, the modification or enforcement may only be about one particular parental right, duty, or activity.

Custody Problems, Modifications, and Enforcements as Kids Grow Up

Call Wichita County custody lawyer Richard T. Sutherland if you have custody problems because your kids are growing up and you may need to change custody and visitation agreements. (940) 691-2100.

Listen to the Texas Child Custody and Conservatorship podcast to learn more!

Getting Into Good Schools and College

Admission standards are competitive on the path to best schools and educational programs. Parents frequently focus on college planning checklists in Grade 9 or earlier. In addition to getting the best possible grades is important. The level of classes matters and practice testing and courses preparing students for the SAT and ACT are common.

If the parent with the right to establish the child’s residence happens to move into a new school district, conflict can ensue. While the parent might find more house for the money in one district, the other parent worries the academic standards in that district do not measure up. When concerns about a long path to a great college could be comprised, a custody modification suit could be forthcoming.

Sports and Extracurricular Activities

The NCAA: What Prospective Student-Athletes Need to Know

Student-athletes have a range of goals. While some are focused on nothing more than being a starting player on a winning team, other young athletes are competing for college scholarships and the recruiters they want to take notice. Parents of student-athletes take on what seems like extra part-time jobs with the demands of coaches, practice, and game schedules, often involving significant travel and expense.

Custody problems can arise when both parents are joint managing conservators and have rights to make decisions about their children and participation in sports. When one parent does not want their son playing tackle football, a high-conflict disagreement can lead the parties back to court.

Children Hanging Out With the Wrong Crowd

See this Family Education article, What to Do When Your Kid Gets in Trouble at School

The last thing parents want to hear is that their child is getting into trouble at school, or off-campus because they are hanging out with kids who might not be the best influence. Toxic friends and changes in behavior can be a sign that something is going wrong with a child. It may be a reaction to something missing in their life, or something recently added, like a parent starting a new relationship.

Child behavior and trouble with toxic friends do not necessarily signal a failure in parenting. Despite the best childcare and parenting, children can cause conflict and problems. If there is a situation where the child is abused or neglected, a modification of conservatorship and possession and access may be vital to the safety of the child.

New Relationships Among Kids and Parents

Former spouses are not required to like their ex’s new partners. They may, however, have limitations on bringing the new partner around children. Children do well around happy and healthy relationships, and they also do well when they feel safe and secure with family. Depending on how long ago the divorce was, and the age of the children, they may take well to a new person. Whether the new love interest has their own kids can be another factor affecting peace at home.

As a parent watching your former spouse date and consider remarrying, the focus is on the new person we do not know. Are they good with your kids? Are they stable people? How do we know? What happens when we suspect they have substance abuse problems? While sometimes getting used to change takes time, change can also cause conflict and when more happens, parents can end up suing to change custody and parental rights and responsibilities.

Custody Problems as Kids Grow Up: Hiring an Experienced Lawyer for Enforcements and Modifications. Call Custody Lawyer Richard T. Sutherland, in Wichita County, Texas (940) 691-2100

Wichita County Custody lawyer Richard T. Sutherland represents people and families in Wichita County, Archer County, Baylor County, Clay County, Foard County, Hardeman County, Jack County, Montague County, Wise County, Young County and Wilbarger Counties in North Texas and has accepted cases in other areas West, North-Central and in South Texas. Contact Mr. Sutherland’s office for a consultation today.

People in Wichita Falls and the surrounding areas call Richard T. Sutherland when they need an experienced and aggressive trial attorney for custody problems, modifications, and enforcements as kids grow up and circumstances change.

Wichita County Divorce: Sealing Divorce Court Records

Texas Law Regarding Sealing Court Records

The general rule in Texas is that court records are presumed to be open to view by the general public. In many counties, court records are available online. With advances in technology, it is easier than ever to look up information about people, including their divorce records. Despite the presumption that court records are public, there are exceptions where certain records can be sealed if the Court determines to grant a request to seal records or the whole file, in their discretion. Sealing divorce court records makes sense in many Texas divorce and custody cases.

Texas court records may be sealed when (a) “a specific, serious and substantial interest which clearly outweighs: (1) this presumption of openness; (2) any probable adverse effect that sealing will have upon the general public health or safety;” or (b) “no less restrictive means than sealing records will adequately and effectively protect the specific interest asserted.” Note that the Rules of Civil Procedure define “court records” to include any “documents filed in an action originally arising under the Family Code.” Rule 76a

There are many good reasons people want their divorce court records to be sealed from the public. It requires an experienced Texas divorce and family law attorney who has worked with complex divorce cases before, involving sealing records and keeping your private family information from public view and access. Richard T. Sutherland has represented families in divorce matters where people are concerned about preserving their privacy. For information about Wichita County divorce and sealing divorce court records, call Richard T. Sutherland in Wichita Falls, Texas at (940) 691-2100.

Read this Reputation Defender article: Top 10 Reasons to Keep Your Personal Information Private.

Sealing Divorce Court Records
For Information About Sealing Divorce Court Records Call Attorney Richard T. Sutherland in Wichita Falls, Texas (940) 691-2100

Sealing Divorce Court Records by Agreement or by Court Order

There are several methods you and your lawyer can discuss regarding keeping your personal information private in your divorce, custody,  modification, or enforcement case. Your divorce lawyer can negotiate with your opposing counsel to agree to have certain court records about the divorce sealed. If your spouse and their lawyer don’t agree to seal records, your lawyer can file a motion with the Court and make the argument for sealing divorce court records at a hearing in court, with notice given to the opposing counsel.

The records you might want to be sealed could be whole documents or portions of the information contained in documents. Parts or whole documents in your pleadings and discovery could contain sensitive information you want to seal. Private information people don’t want the public to view or know can also be part of the final divorce decree. You may want your lawyer to negotiate an agreement that includes a penalty in the event that the other party ends up sharing, publishing, or otherwise leaking sealed court records.

Sealing Divorce Court Records About Personal and Finance Issues

In high conflict divorces with complex business and financial issues, sealing court records may be necessary to protect future interests. For example, if you have an interest in a family business, it may be in everyone’s best interests to protect private information. Competitors in business can take advantage of business relationships and cause problems when private information is public and gets into the wrong hands.

Another article tip: 8 Ways to Spot Emotional Manipulation and How to Avoid it.

If there are allegations of facts that would be embarrassing and damaging to someone’s reputation, sealing court records can protect people from probable adverse effects. Imagine trying to get your children into a school, church, or sports program when people in town may have shared your private information about what is in your divorce records.

Sealing Divorce Court Records About Parenting and Child Custody Issues

Child custody cases and sealed record requests make sense when there are allegations involving the parenting or actions of one parent. For example, a parent’s history of DWI, drug, family violence, and other criminal charges can damage one’s reputation. Even though allegations and information offered as evidence are only about an arrest or charges, that may have been dropped or dismissed, the information is damaging.

Custody modification cases usually come about when there is something wrong with the current custody and visitation arrangement. The allegations involved can be anything from a job change requiring of plans, or a criminal or family violence situation. Depending on what is going on, you and your spouse and children might be better off asking or agreeing to seal the records and protect against others finding in using your private information against you or to gain an advantage in some other context.

Sealing Divorce Court Records With Wichita County Divorce Attorney Richard T. Sutherland

Richard T. Sutherland is an experienced divorce and family law attorney in Wichita County. For decades, well-known families have hired Mr. Sutherland to represent them in divorce and to minimize information about their divorce becoming part of a public discussion. When there is a good reason to seek to protect sensitive divorce and family information, call Mr. Sutherland about sealing divorce court records by calling (940) 691-2100.

Wichita Falls Family Law Attorney Richard T. Sutherland represents people and families in Wichita County, Archer County, Baylor County, Clay County, Foard County, Hardeman County, Jack County, Montague County, Wise County, Young County and Wilbarger Counties in North Texas and has accepted cases in other areas West, North-Central and in South Texas.